Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Paralegal - Las Vegas, NV
at MVM, Inc.
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Shift: Regular Business hours, some overtime may be required
MVM, Inc. is seeking a bright and talented Paralegal to provide administrative legal support assistance in support of the United States Attorney’s Office. The ideal candidate must be extremely well-organized, knowledgeable of legal and clerical processes and detail oriented with a positive disposition and "can-do" approach.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Receives newly opened case files and takes necessary measures to notify the proper client agency of service and to obtain litigation report and/or other needed case information
- Establishes and updates database to track receipt of cases, upcoming deadlines and other case information; Keeps attorneys and appropriate staff members informed of the status of cases
- Monitors the progress of pending cases and initiates action to ensure that established deadlines are met
- Physically maintains case files and case related material in current status within established filing systems and in accordance with office procedures
- Performs document reviews and assists in discovery
- Reviews medical records, deposition transcripts, and other documents; prepares summaries, identifies critical documents and suggests individuals and entities as appropriate subjects of additional discovery measures such as the issuance of subpoenas
- Drafts subpoenas and related documents and ensures proper delivery of such; tracks recipients’ compliance with subpoenas and follows-up to ensure compliance
- Maintains discovery material and other case related records in an indexed filing system that is accessible and enables easy retrieval
- Prepares a variety of substantive legal documents in subject areas such as but not limited to the False Claims Act, torts, forfeiture, collection, bankruptcy and social security, motions, legal memoranda, declarations and other legal documents
- Prepares original correspondence to include transmittal of pleadings, requests for extensions of time, and status updates to client agencies
- Perform basic legal research and summarizing, citation verification basted on statutory references
- Maintain calendars, schedule appointments, and answers outside inquiries not requiring legal interpretations along with handling phone calls and greeting visitors
- Assists in trial preparation by inputting data into trial assistance databases, compiling trial notebooks, and preparing witness and exhibit lists
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Paralegal Certificate and at least one year of legal experience are required
- Resume detailing demonstrated experience along with three (3) professional resumes is required
- Ability to work and interact professionally and effectively with all levels of staff and the general public
- Ability to meet established deadlines and work as a team player
- Proficiency in word processing software and Microsoft Office software programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, WordPerfect Office Suite)
- Knowledge of standard legal citation systems sufficient to perform straightforward legal research and accurately cite check legal authorities
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Security Access
- Ability to proofread documents and format them to accepted legal standards
- Experience and familiarity with the drafting, organization and filing of legal pleadings and correspondence
- Ability to work in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment and work overtime on short notice
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- Must be local to the Las Vegas, NV area
- Good organizational and communication skills
Applicants selected may be subject to a Government background investigation and may be required to meet the following conditions of employment:
- A favorable credit check for all cleared positions
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must have lived in the US at least three (3) of the past five (5) years
- Successfully passing a background investigation
MVM offers a competitive benefits package, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Recruiting Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.