Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
LVMPD Intern - Detention Services only
at Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
Overall Job Objective
- Position Description
- This recruitment is specifically meant for current college student applicants desiring to obtain an internship with the Detention Services Division of LVMPD. Applications not directed at the detention services area will be rejected.
In addition, LVMPD internships are offered only to current college students and must be performed in return for college credits counted toward graduation. Internships are generally performed within one college semester.
Interns have no law enforcement power. They are students currently in an advanced stage of their college studies desiring to pursue a career in criminal justice or law enforcement upon college graduation. Typically assigned a mentor, interns acquire the necessary knowledge and skills while providing non-commissioned, non-hazardous support and/or research services to the LVMPD unit assigned.
- Position-Specific Conditions
- Internship applicants must:
1. Be endorsed by the college/university for the proposed internship;
2. Be age 18 or above.
3. Be a US citizen or lawful Permanent Resident Alien
4. Be a current student of good academic standing, with a GPA 2.75 or higher, enrolled in an accredited U.S. college/university that offers credits counted toward graduation for completing an internship with a law enforcement or criminal justice agency.
4. Have already completed the first year in an Associate's degree program or the second year in a Bachelor's degree program; or currently be pursuing a Master's degree.
5. Be able to work a minimum of eight hours a week.
6. Be able to provide proof of sufficient health insurance coverage by the time the internship starts.
Interns may be required to work nights and weekends, depending on assignment.Best Candidates Will have already committed to majoring in Social Work, Corrections, Criminal Justice, Police Science, or a related field.
Due to limited availability, internships are rarely offered to candidates not majoring in the above areas.
- Selection Process
- 1. Minimum qualifications screening.
2. Meeting with a background investigator at LVMPD Headquarters, Las Vegas at the student applicant's expense. Out of state applicants are advised to take the time and expense involved in this process into consideration.
3. Background investigation lasting 45 days in most cases.**
4. Candidates notified of background investigation results.
** No intern candidates are exempted from the background process, regardless of their previous employment with the military or any jurisdiction.
- Additional Information
- Filing Information:
Interested applicants are required to submit the following:
1. An on-line application;
2. A copy of their most recent, unofficial college transcript indicating that they meet the GPA 2.75 or higher requirement by uploading it to their application;
3. A letter or other evidence from their college/university they are currently attending indicating endorsement of their internship endeavor.
This is a continuous recruitment with no closing date. However, successful candidates are assigned to a work unit in the Detention Services Division of LVMPD at the beginning of a semester: Spring, Summer, and Fall.
In addition, as this is a continuous recruitment, applicants must be specific in the month and year when they desire to start their internship, or their application will be considered "incomplete."
Inquiries on the internship program and internship assignment may be directed to:
T'Lisa Marcus-Morris, Internship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jantina Seals, Human Resources Technician, at email@example.com.